Voting

Monday, September 6, 2010

Just Another Day in Nevada....



I have missed a few days of blogging - mostly because it was probably just another day and I don't want to post painfully boring posts about what I ate for breakfast, what I cleaned, what I didn't clean, and what time my kids didn't go to bed.

However, over the past several days/week, there has been enough compilation of updates to equal one post (I think).

We have officially finished the first month of medical school. I say "we" because although Brian is the one going to class every day, we are all very much involved in "going to medical school".

Brian works really hard all week but because he gets out at 3pm on Fridays, he has set Friday afternoon/evening aside for the family - which I LOVE. This past Friday, I scheduled a late afternoon haircut at a place called HotBox Salon in Las Vegas. Brian had bought me a voucher to the salon through a Living Social deal (which I am totally addicted to by the way). For $30.00 dollars I was able to get a haircut and a therapeutic hair treatment (an $80 value - awesome deal, right?). Anyways, I made the appointment and asked for anyone available because I knew I only had Friday afternoon to get my haircut so I was going to take what I can get - which happened to be the owner of the salon - SCORE. As I was driving to the appointment, I was thinking about the name of the salon and though it was an interesting name for a hair salon because of its similarity to a marijuana smoking term (yes, I am NOT naive). The similarity was right on point. I walked into the salon which smelled of incense and was decorated with camo print and Bob Marley posters - this was perfect for my first true Las Vegas hair cut. After talking to the person cutting my hair, I found out that he didn't only own the salon, he was also a trained professional who taught hair cutting seminars and techniques all over the country and worked with Paul Mitchell for 8 years teaching the teachers who teach the students - major SCORE. Anyways - long story short, I love my haircut and felt like it was the haircut that I have been trying to achieve for the past year that no one could seem to get right - does that mean that west coast hair stylists are better? It is possible.

On Friday night we headed out to the strip. My kids love to sit in their stroller and take a ride down the strip, and Brian and I enjoy people watching so its a win win for us on a Friday night. I love that in Las Vegas you see everything, but you never see the same thing twice - unless it comes in the shape of a girl in a thong walking down the strip at 9pm at night - you see A LOT of those. When we arrived and entered the Bellagio, a girl came walking out literally wearing a thong bikini with a see through cover up just covering her bottom half - that's about the time that we put the sun shade up over the stroller. Brian let me loose in Urban Outfitters (big mistake) where we were greeted by lady #2 feeling the vibe of a 9pm thong and see throug cover up - I wish I hadn't missed that memo - that would have made a great outfit as I pushed my Graco Duo Glide down the strip.

We headed out on a usual path towards the Coca Cola factory and the M&M factory to look for Spiderman who wasn't there so we had to convince Evan that he was out saving people and then needed to go home and see his momma. On our way there, we passed a guy in his young 20s laying on the sidewalk completely drunk. Once the ambulance came and he was put on a stretcher, I don't think he even knew he was on a stretcher he was so drunk - which was actually kind of funny. As they wheeled him away he was saying hi to everyone and asking them how their night was going - quite social for being almost half dead, which was kind of impressive.

Saturday morning I woke up early and hit a 5 mile run, took a shower, and then went shopping (BY MYSELF) for two hours to spend my birthday money. This may seem like a lame update - but this was seriously one of the most liberating moments I have had since I moved here. I realized that when I went to get my haircut the day before, I hadn't driven in a car by myself since we moved here which had been almost 7 weeks. I love being with my family, but there is something magical about a good work out, a shower without two little boys taking a shower with you and dumping your shampoo out, and a little retail therapy.

I am heading to Fresno, California on Wednesday for an indefinite amount of time to see Brian's family - look out for CA updates.




No comments:

Post a Comment